Today I’m going to show you how to make a really healthy, really sour coconut yogurt. This is likely one of the healthiest pro-biotic, intestinal flora providing, living foods you can possibly eat and it’s super simple to make as long as you have a magic ingredient to get your yogurt colony going…
You will need…
About 10 Young Coconuts (preferrably shaved)
If you can not get fresh coconuts you can do this with coconut milk and a thickener, such as tapioca.
A really serious, hefty chopping knife
Or a piece of paper with a toilet handle attached…
A good blender
…with or without iPhone (ok without)
The Magic Ingredient
EM – Pro is a pro-biotic supplement from Japanese technology that can be used for making yogurts and the like. It’s has a spectrum of different flora and boasts powerful healing qualities. You can order it from ThaiOrganicLife, or search for other Probiotic or yogurt starters.
The rest is standard kitchen fare…bowls, spoons, and a big enough tupperware for your coconut meat. Speaking of which….
How to do it…
- Drain your coconuts – Place the coconut on a stable surface or in your palm if you don’t even need to read how to do this. Strike the top at about a 45ฺ angle. Do it in 3 or 4 chops to open it. Unless you got some friends with you to have a coconut drinking marathon, pour some of your coconuts into pitchers to keep in the fridge. It’s good for about two days. Or, add 1/2 teaspoon of your EM-Pro and let sit for about 12 hours for Coconut Kefir.When it’s fermented store in the fridge for up to a week.
- Chop like a Samurai – Hold your knife in both hands and give a strong, confident swing right down the middle, burying the knife.My method next was to use a thick mat on my balcony and just bang the coconut a few times until the split was deep enough to pull it apart easily. I did it this way for the few times the knife went all the way through, harmlessly to the mat instead of my counter top.
- Harvest – Now, once all your coconuts are split, scoop out the meat with as little of the brown skin from the shell coming along as possible. Wash or scrape off most of what might. this is just for texture so it’s not a big deal.
- Purée – Blend all your coconut meat with just enough of the juice you saved to make it submit easily into puréed oblivion. Add one half teaspoon of EM – Pro or your starter. Now pour it into a closed, but not completely air tight, sealed container.
- Let it sit – You need to keep your starter somewhere warm for it to grow. At least around 85ฺF or 29ฺC. This may mean you will have to incubate it in something. Don’t sit on your yogurt. This first batch takes about 24 hours.
- When it’s done it will have risen considerably and be quite sour. Anytime you want to make more take about 2 or 3 tablespoons from this and add it to the puree you make the next time. Because this one has quite active flora already it will be ready in 4-6 hours depending on heat. Now, you might want to try something like this with your super yogurt…Dragon fruit with yogurt, soaked goji berries, cinnamon, and honey..Mm